Konjac is increasingly popular as an alternative source of fibers and nutrients. Amorphophallus konjac thrives in tropical and sub-tropical Asia, such as Indonesia. It is usually processed into flour before being used for different purposes. The plant contains 40%-60% of glucomannan, which is responsible for Indonesian Konjac Plant Benefits. Glucomannan is a kind of water-soluble fiber that thickens solution.
Glucomannan has been widely studied for its potential in health industries. It is found to work great in controlling cholesterol and blood sugar levels in normal range. A number of food products made of konjac flour have been around. They include konjac noodles and even konjac rice.
A study in the United States shows that Konjac has low calorie contents, rich food fibers, and gluten-free fibers. That is why it is also called ‘miracle noodle. Imagine that a portion (100 grams) of konjac noodles or rice only contains 10-15 calories, 4 grams of food fibers, and 4 grams of carbohydrates.
Indonesian Konjac Plant Benefits for Health
Glucomannan contents in Konjac offer huge potentials in health sector. A recent study found that glucomannan has the following health benefits:
- Controlling cholesterol level, both total and LDL cholesterol. Konjac diet helps in controlling glycemic level and lipid profiles. It helps in reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases by reducing the risk for diabetes, hypertension, and hyperlipidemia.
- Controlling blood sugar. A number of studies show that glucomannan is helpful in addressing blood sugar. It is widely known that blood sugar is responsible for reducing the risk of diabetes mellitus and related risk factors. It works by modulating the way nutrients are digested in the intestines. As a result, insulin sensitivity increases;
- Preventing cancers. Studies on Indonesian Konjac Plant benefits found that konjac flour, which is processed into food products, help in cancer prevention and treatment. It prevent several types of cancers, including cancer and pre-cancerous lesions. The active substance was found to reduce cancer levels in experimental animals.
- Reducing obesity. Studies also found that glucomannan contents in konjac might be responsible for weight loss. Konjac is a potential source of dietary fibers for weight loss programs. As it is rich in fibers, the dieters have longer satiety, thus helping in reducing weight. Those who are doing low-calorie diet can opt for konjac food products.
- Addressing constipation. Glucomannan can be an effective solution for parents that are facing constipated kids. The substance helps in increasing fecal frequency without affecting colon motility. Given its benefits and tolerance level, glucomannan can be an alternative therapy for addressing chronic constipation.
Indonesian Konjac Plant Benefits: The Bottom Line
In conclusion, Indonesian konjac plant benefits for health vary widely. It is potential in addressing and minimizing the risks of several cardiovascular diseases like diabetes mellitus and high cholesterol level. Those who have a problem with digestive system and obesity can use konjac-based products as alternative low-calorie foods. Of course, to get the full benefits of the plants, you need to consume it as recommended. The way you process the food also determines its benefits for your body. Finally, Indonesian konjac plant benefits will be promoted as long as you combine it with other food ingredients. This is the key to a balanced diet, right?